Re: Conversions

From: Santo Sengupta <Santo_at_...>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 17:39:17 -0000

Yes, Amber would truely benefit from an adaption of the HW rules - the current rules, though fun, can be really hard to play. As a new fan of Nephilim, I'd be interested in hearing what you've come up with so far.

I'm working on a one-shot scenario set in Tanith Lee's "Tales of the Flat Earth" using the HW system. Though there are no real Gods in the world (but plenty of Demons..) the whole HW 4-way split magic system would work suprisingly well:

Heroes would have Affinities, chosen by the player. Each Affinity they chose, they would have 20 words to describe "Feats" that they already know.

Sorcerors would have Grimoires. This would work in a similar fashion to Affinities, except that they would get 50 words for each Grimoire, but their spells would require preparation and material components.

Witches and Warlocks would consort with Demons and Spirits, and use the Shamanic rules. They'd get perhaps 10 words to describe each 'tradition' of spirit they are attuned to.

And of course, Mystics would exist in the Far East (or any other random cardinal direction) and use the Mysticism rules that I still don't entirely understand. ;)

Off topic: Do you really think WOTC Starwars is any good? Going from the venerable, if a bit clunky, d6 system to a class-level based d20 "system" seems like a huge leap backwards.

-Santo