RE: spirit associations

From: Bruce Ferrie <bruce_at_...>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 21:28:14 -0000

Hi All,

On Tuesday, November 28, 2000 3:42 PM, Gareth Martin [SMTP:gamartin_at_...] wrote:

> ...I picked a devotee of Jakaleel.
> However, her spirits are listed as Lune, Waxing Moon, Waning Moon, Full
> Moon, Black Moon, IIRC. Now this is all well and good, but.... what the
> hell are they supposed to be?

I've been making a Jakaleeli character too, so this interests me...

In Runequest, Lunes (moon elementals) appeared as pools of pulsating red light. They enveloped their victims and could either drain Magic Points from them or cause madness.

The other types are new to me. Presumably they represent different phases of the moon - maybe they cause different types of magic or (new idea!) have some relation to the magic associated with the different aspects of Natha and Rufelza (see HW p82-85).

You could try drawing parralels as follows?

Lune - the full power of the Red Moon (Madness affinities like Rufelza - see p85)
Waxing Moon - could represent growth/healing? Base Verithurusa's Childhood affinity or Lesilla's Motherhood one?
Waning Moon - as the moon wanes, things turn to grimmer aspects (Natha, the Red Moon Avenger or Orogeria's Survival)
Full Moon - think Rashorana and Understanding (I once came up with the following suggestions for feats for her Understanding affinity: Enlightening Riddle, Let Us Talk Peacefully, Light of Understanding, Open Minds, Overcome Moral Qualms, Rationalise Contradictions) Black Moon - abilities based on the Suffering affinity of Gerra, the Black Moon goddess?

You could give any of them abilities based on the "general" Affinities for Natha (Healing and Otherworld), I suppose. Particularly Otherworld. One would assume that their abilities are affected by the Lunar Cycle in the same way as other Lunar magic (see HW p238).

As a disclaimer, I'm no expert on the Lunars and their magic, so this is all off the top of my head. Hope it gives people some ideas though.

Regards,

Bruce