Re: Re: Werewolves Was: Zombies and Skeletons in exten ded contest

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 13:03:04 +1300

Mikko:

> > If it had meant that it would have said "Certain of the Elder Races
> > are vulnerable to unenchanted iron". But enchanted iron burning elves
> > and trolls is canon.

>It's canon in the sense that sloppy writers of RQ-3 era material always
>assumed iron weapons be enchanted, and get all the luxory extras.

They weren't sloppy and they didn't assume but read it exactly as it was meant to be read. And they knew this because they happened to be the people who wrote the material in the first place.

> I like
>the way the old RQ-2 era handled pure runic metals (so you vere only
>capable of castin runic magic of the metals runic affinity and so),

Wrong, Mikko. All it says about runic metals is this:

         "Rune priests of a particular metal have the ability to harden
         that element's metal into weapons with strength equal to bronze.
         However, iron is preferred by these races which can handle it
         due to its greater durability and absorption of damage".
                                 RQ2 Appendix D: Runic Identities p101

>and
>I don't like handling Iron so it's just bigger, better and faster if
>enchanted. And I don't think the authors of Elder Secrets meant it that
>way.

Well they did. Have a look at:

         Werewolves and other monsters with immunity to non-magical
         weapons are fully affected by iron and tempered rune metal
         weapons.
                 Gods of Glorantha p19.

Or:

         Certain of the elder races are vulnerable to iron.  Elves
         and trolls take double damage from this poison metal.
                 Introduction to Glorantha p16.

Lastly why does Mostal teach Enchant Iron?

> > >People writing scenarios in the RQ-3 era always seemed to read it rather
> > >sloppily, though.
> >
> > Motes and beams, Mikko, motes and beams.

>I think I just failed my "understand idiomatic english from around the
>globe 17" ability check.

I'm just referring to the fact that on the basis of a highly idiosyncratic and tortured reading of the material, you are damning others for being sloppy.

--Peter Metcalfe