Re: Re: Werewolves Was: Zombies and Skeletons in exten ded contest

From: Mikko Rintasaari <mikrin_at_...>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 03:28:21 +0200 (EET)

On Wed, 29 Nov 2000, Peter Metcalfe wrote:

I wrote:
> > I like
> >the way the old RQ-2 era handled pure runic metals (so you vere only
> >capable of castin runic magic of the metals runic affinity and so),
>
> Wrong, Mikko. All it says about runic metals is this:
>
> "Rune priests of a particular metal have the ability to harden
> that element's metal into weapons with strength equal to bronze.
> However, iron is preferred by these races which can handle it
> due to its greater durability and absorption of damage".
> RQ2 Appendix D: Runic Identities p101

I'm quite certain that there was more to it then that. I'll dig out the source tomorrow (at the moment my beloved is sleeping in the room where I have my books)

> >and
> >I don't like handling Iron so it's just bigger, better and faster if
> >enchanted. And I don't think the authors of Elder Secrets meant it that
> >way.
>
> Well they did. Have a look at:
>
> Werewolves and other monsters with immunity to non-magical
> weapons are fully affected by iron and tempered rune metal
> weapons.
> Gods of Glorantha p19.

Interesting wording btw. Even that seems to point out that its non enchanted iron, and enchanted (tempered) rune metals.

> Or:
>
> Certain of the elder races are vulnerable to iron. Elves
> and trolls take double damage from this poison metal.
> Introduction to Glorantha p16.

Yes indeed. But it does not claim that they are vulnerable to enchanted iron.

> Lastly why does Mostal teach Enchant Iron?

Why not? It's their invention, they can do with it things men wouldn't even dream of. I'm sure the mostali use enchanted iron when they want strength (armor, shafts of weapons) and unenchanted when they want to mess up magic and hurt trolls and elves.

The RQ-3 book also gives Iron Dwarfs the skills forge iron and _temper_ iron. So I think the iron mostali can make steel from iron without sorcery. Or parhaps one can't enchant iron without the skills of a blacksmith.

<snip>
> I'm just referring to the fact that on the basis of a highly
> idiosyncratic and tortured reading of the material, you are damning
> others for being sloppy.
>
> --Peter Metcalfe

Ah. But the truth is that many of the people that wrote scenarios for RQ didn't seem to understand the rules all too clearly.

        -Adept