Re: Re: Werewolves

From: Mikko Rintasaari <mikrin_at_...>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 03:36:16 +0200 (EET)

On Wed, 29 Nov 2000, JEFFREY KYER wrote:

> > HW simplified things a lot. I'm not going to, because I like the
> added detail, and I want to keep my campaign consistent.
>
> When you have more experience with the game, I hope that your posts
> will be enriched by the experience. Having actual game experience
> would be one of the credentials for commenting on the specifics of the
> rules, I would think.

?? I suppose you picked that from my wording, that I have no experience running HW. Spesifics of the rules, parhaps, but what about spesifics of Glorantha?
  My campaign has been running for over a decade, so I'm not going to change the workings of the world unless there is good cause. I understand that HW simplifies things, and in many cases this is good.   I also know there are many people like me, who have ongoing campaigns, and who have to work over the gaps between RQ and HW. My toughts and observations are meant to be constructive, not destructive of Hero Wars. I have bought all that has come out so far, and will continue to do so.

> > Too bad really. It's a nice effect. Though I have built on the RQ
> > description a bit. So that cold iron weapons halve the effect of
> > defensive magic they are attempting to pass.
> >
> > -Adept
>
> Were you to think about the nature of iron and the HW system, the
> effect of unenchanted iron interfering with magic in a readily usable
> fashion. The following inference seems obvious, should a narrator
> wish to use it:
>
> Simply increase all magical resistances (good and bad) by +1 per
> 'thing' of raw iron. Rather simple and easy to implement. The
> narrator will decide how much an item counts for. A sword would be a
> +1 but a chain shirt might be +2 or +4 or some number that the player
> and the narrator are comfortable with.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Jeff Kyer

Yes, that is quite a nice way of handling it. There are good Gloranthan reasons for keeping the "antimagic" iron at least on some level. I'd hate to lose the wonderfully strange Iron Forts of the Kralorelan border, for instance.

I'm sorry if have ruffled some feathers, but I love the detail on Glorantha.

        -Mikko, the Adept