Re: Re: Werewolves Was: Zombies and Skeletons in exten ded contest

From: Mikko Rintasaari <mikrin_at_...>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 16:08:54 +0200 (EET)

On Wed, 29 Nov 2000, Peter Metcalfe wrote:

> Mikko
>
> >I'm quite certain that there was more to it then that. I'll dig out the
> >source tomorrow (at the moment my beloved is sleeping in the room where
> >I have my books)
>
> And if you can't find anything, will you be admitting that fact?
> Or
> will you be ignoring it like you did with the fact that the people
> who were sloppy in interpreting Elder Secrets happened to be the same
> people who wrote it?

Ahem. The people who wrote the Elder Secrets seem to be Greg Stafford and Sandy Petersen. Neither of which wrote that many scenarios in the RQ-3 era.
  Unfortunately you clipped away what I was supposed to defend. Was it about the interesting RQ-2 treatment of pure runic metals effecting elemental magic? I'm still quite certain I've read such a thing from an offiscially published RQ-2 product. I couldn't find it in the mess that is my study, though, so I will have to admit that I can't produce any evidence on the fact.

But Peter, why are you being so furious about this? Why are you taking my nostalgig digging into old Glorantha sources as a personal attack? Is this cattyness really the image we want to give to people who are new to Glorantha and this mailinglist?

> >Interesting wording btw. Even that seems to point out that its non
> >enchanted iron, and enchanted (tempered) rune metals.
>
> If the writers meant to point that out, then they would have said
> "non-enchanted iron". As it is iron (unqualified) means _all_ types
> of iron whether you like it or not. Enchanted Iron is not called
> Steel here as this was written before Elder Secrets came out.

Sorry, I tought you vere talking about the secrets book.

> >Yes indeed. But it does not claim that they are vulnerable to enchanted
> >iron.
>
> It does not state that they are vulnerable to unenchanted iron either.
> So where does that leave you?

The Elder Secrets : Secrets Book says that werewolves are vulnerable to _unenchanted_iron_. I find it nice and coherent that the elf/troll damaging and magic breaking effect is linked. That's how I see it.

> >The RQ-3 book also gives Iron Dwarfs the skills forge iron and _temper_
> >iron.
>
> No, it doesn't. That's Elder Secrets.

Which is the only RQ-3 writeup on the iron dwarves. I meant the Secrets Book, apologies for vagueness.

> > > I'm just referring to the fact that on the basis of a highly
> > > idiosyncratic and tortured reading of the material, you are damning
> > > others for being sloppy.
>
> >Ah. But the truth is that many of the people that wrote scenarios for RQ
> >didn't seem to understand the rules all too clearly.
>
> No. The truth is that many of the people who wrote scenarios for
> RQ had english as their first language and read the rules correctly
> (and even wrote those rules).

Me-ow. My apologies for not having been born in an anglic speaking country. I do study at the university level from sources in english, so I don't feel all that handicapped. Reading roleplaying supplements correctly tends to be an excersise in coherentistic philosophy, as one tries to find a middleground amid all the contradictions.

> If you want to have tempered iron lose its ability to harm elves and
> trolls, you are quite welcome to do so in your own game. But as for
> pretending your interpretation is the only possible one according to
> the rules and that everybody else is sloppy and/or wrong, you are
> just simply annoying.
>
> --Peter Metcalfe

I'm just pointing out what, to me, seems to be the most obvious and logical way to interpret the Elder Secrets definitions of Iron.

I find this hostility rather surprising Peter. Can't we have a civilized discussion here?

        -Adept