RE: surprise

From: Graham Robinson <gjr_at_...>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 16:22:46 +0000 (GMT)

On Thu, 30 Nov 2000, Gareth Martin wrote:

> I have just spent last night looking for rules for surprise and ambushes
> woihtout success. Are the y missing or am I just stoopid?

Definately not stupid - most of us have sat with the rule book going "I'm sure it was in here somewhere..."

> The issue here is, what happens when one side starts a contest that the
> other side does not even know they are in?

Can't think of any rules off the top of my head. However, there are two obvious options.

  1. The ambushers start a contest of their ambush/close combat/ranged combat (as they choose) ability against the opponents avoid ambush/spot hidden/acute hearing, and you then switch to appropriate target numbers after the first round. This will tend to reduce the number of APs the ambushees have, as their avoid ambush skill is likely to be below their combat skill.
  2. Run a simple contest of ambush vs. avoid ambush/spot hidden/acute hearing/whatever. If the ambushers win the ambushees get a penalty to their initial combat skill - maybe -3 for a marginal, -5 for a minor and -8 for a major victory. Under this I'd be tempted to allow a complete victory mean the loser is defeated before they can take any other action.

I think I prefer the second option. Its outcomes should tend to reflect the skill of the ambusher.

Cheers,
Graham

--
Graham Robinson			The Stable Yard - Internet Solutions
gjr_at_...		http://www.thestableyard.net