RE: Digest Number 374

From: A. K. Berner <open_micro_at_...>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 13:45:21 -0500

Andreas wrote:

>I don't know another Game, that tries to have no rules and has so much
discussion about
>them. This should concern everybody responsible for rule design.

You might want to try looking on a major AD&D 3rd Ed. site like 3EBB to see how much arguing there is about those rules. In my experience with both light and heavy rules systems there is a big difference in feel. I'm fairly new to HW but it seems like a good balance to me and I personally like the lack of a ton of specific rules in a narrative focused game. I'm no big fan of Gary Gygax but it is interesting to note that he is pushing his new rules light system and that the main guy who designed the 3rd Ed. players handbook (J. Tweet) also designed Everway which is a very light system.

As hard as it is to believe, there can indeed be advantages to having less rules instead of more in an RPG game (look at the popularity of Vampire and other White Wolf games even in the face of AD&D, Runequest and other heavy RPG systems that well proceeded them).

I find the whole light/heavy debate to be timely and interesting and I have yet to read a really clear and well written analysis of the differences and advantages/disadvantages to each approach. (perhaps I'll try and do it myself when I better understand just where HW stands in this whole debate since it is heavier than many of the lightest systems).

A.K. Berner