Re: Re: Iron

From: Mikko Rintasaari <mikrin_at_...>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 15:57:27 +0200 (EET)

On Fri, 1 Dec 2000, JEFFREY KYER wrote:

> Unenchanted iron disrupts magic. Its one of those odd things about
> Glorantha -- we don't know why but it just does. However, its got a
> long standing tradition in the game-world, dating back to the 70's.

Iron is an odd dwarwish thing, and this is a beloved Gloranthan tradition. :)

> And it usually only disrupts magic targeting the caster. If I summon
> up a poison cloud, then you still get seared when you breath it.
> Same thing with a flaming spear. But if I use my 'Heal Friend' spell,
> then we're in trouble.
>
> Using unenchanted iron was always a two-edged sword.

I always tought that the not-so-magical iron dwarves liked walking around wearing huge amounts of cold iron, so that they didn't have to worry about trolls/elves/humans casting spells at them. Afterall, on the physical side the iron dwarves are the most terrifying.

> > a newbie so what do I know. Anyway, rather than have a table of
> modifiers,
> > why not use the Edge rating of carried iron? Edge x 10 if
> necessary?
>
> Becaause we didn't think of it. =)
>
> And the effect of a spear head on a stick is a lot less than wearing
> gauntlets. Perhaps a flat +5 for weapons and 5x the rating of the
> armour would work.
>
> We're still playtesting. Any reports of how it works is good.
>
> Jeff

Am I the only one that always tought that "slave bracelets" vere made from unenchanted iron? Put iron manacles around the wrists of a captive, and he will find it almost impossible to work magic. Put an iron collar on his/her throat, and the captive can't even call to his/her gods.

Not that I think there are such things in circulation so that Goldentongue traders came prepared with a set, but they are a nice/nasty thing to give to that Spoken Word agent...

        -Adept