Re: Iron

From: JEFFREY KYER <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2000 15:00:38 -0000

Yes. It is. but we don't know the reason why Iron disrupts magic. Just that it does.

> > And it usually only disrupts magic targeting the caster. If I
summon
> > Using unenchanted iron was always a two-edged sword.
>
> I always tought that the not-so-magical iron dwarves liked walking
> around wearing huge amounts of cold iron, so that they didn't have

No. Its mentioned in several places in the literature, including the "Why I hate Mostali" articles currently on the Issaries site that all the dwarf iron is enchanted. It was enven mentioned that they could swap it around as it was a communal enchantment.

> worry about trolls/elves/humans casting spells at them. Afterall, on
the
> physical side the iron dwarves are the most terrifying.

No. Then their Unstoppable Advance, Rolling Fire, Unbreakable Shield and similar spells wouldn't have worked.

In RQ II and III, Dwarfs were very, very magical and very canny operators.

Mind you, the image Roderick gives about the bessemer converter reminds me of an old issure of the Thor Comic book from the 80's...

> Am I the only one that always tought that "slave bracelets" vere
made
> from unenchanted iron? Put iron manacles around the wrists of a
captive,
> and he will find it almost impossible to work magic. Put an iron
collar
> on his/her throat, and the captive can't even call to his/her gods.

I fear this is the case. In the literature, some are iron, some are silver, some are gold. I think some are bronze. They are a magical item that severs the link between a person and the Other Side where they get their magic from.

Jeff