re: Barz: a character description

From: Thom Baguley <t.s.baguley_at_...>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2000 11:50:20 +0000

> From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
>Subject: Barz: a character description
>think he may have topped himself.

On my reading I misunderstood this ... ("top oneself" British english for: to commit suicide.

>I ran a Grazer game several years ago, and decided that players could
>keep their characters (aged 10 years, in part to explain any
>differences between the two game systems). Loren had run a shaman,
>and decided to write him up in the form of a summoning chant (I've
>annotated it, and will explain below).

Wonderful.

>And shamans have a lot of spirits anyway (I'm still uncertain as to
>how many a starting shaman should have, and this character isn't
>supposed to be a beginning shaman, even if I'm starting everyone at
>the Medium power level). If I let him have a bunch already
>integrated, it's not that big a deal, because I'd probably have to
>give him some anyway. (And this is actually far fewer than are on his
>RQ character sheet.) In fact, he probably still has a bunch of
>fetishes with spirits in 'em.

I think he should keep old spirits as one-use. For 10 years down-time I'd let him keep any on his character narrative as at least 1/day. Using the power/frequency trade-off house rule might be fair.

>I do think I need to tighten the definition of some of the spirits. I
>don't want them to act as affinities. I think I may leave them
>undefined until they're actually used (e.g. in the first episode,
>Barz used River Muddler to cross a river, so that will define its
>power).

That seems fair and will reduce book-keeping.

Thom