AP Limits?

From: Nick Eden <nick_at_...>
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 07:40:06 +0000

Is there, or should there be, a limit to the number of APs that can be staked in a single exchange?

I've been having trouble recently with one of my players, who is playing a shaman and has worked out how to demolish enemies:

Because he has a fetch (7W) I presume that he starts off any spirit related extended contest with 27 more APs than most of the rest of the group. He then unleashes a spirit (often lightning) armed with 40 APs and Hero Point. Generally this is enough to result in another 80 APs being transferred from the victim, after which he can pretty much do whatever he likes. Nothing can stand up to an opponent able to repeatedly stake 30APs.

An idea would be that the stake is limited by the base skill or might involved in the primary action - so the Lightning Spirit, might 18 means that he can only stake 18 APs, which an opponent might be able to survive loosing.

Is Carl Hiaassen shaking his head and saying "If I'd have written this, no-one would have beleived it?"