Magical vs. Mundane Idea

From: Andrew Dawson <asmpd_at_...>
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 12:54:37 -0500

This may have already been said, but if so, I missed it:

This is an unplaytested idea that I am considering. To differentiate between mundane and magical abilities, have the magical ability use either 14 or a magical resistance rating (ignore mundane resistance) and have the mundane ability use mundane resistance and suffer a large improvisational penalty for being resisted magically. The four possible cases are:

  1. Mundane ability vs. mundane resistance - use the mundane resistance rating.
  2. Mundane ability vs. magical resistance - use the magical resistance rating and apply a steep improvisational modifier to the mundane ability (for facing magical resistance).
  3. Magical ability vs. mundane resistance - use the default resistance of 14 (with improvisational modifiers if the magic is not completely appropriate for the task).
  4. Magical ability vs. magical resistance - use the magical resistance rating.
    Here is an example: Climbing; let's assume that there are magical and mundane climbing abilities. Let's also assume that there are mundane walls and magically high (or hard to climb) walls.
  5. Mundane climbing vs. Mundane city wall (10w) - resistance is 10w.
  6. Mundane climbing vs. Magically hard to climb wall (10w) - resistance is 10w, but there is an improvisational penalty to mundane climbing ability.
  7. Magical Climb Walls vs. Mundane city wall (10w) - resistance is 14. 3.1. Magical Climb Walls vs. Mundane tree (10w) - resistance is 14, but there is an improvisational penalty for Climb Walls.
  8. Magical Climb Walls vs. Magically hard to climb wall (10w) - resistance is 10w. 4.1 Magically Climb Walls vs. Magically hard to climb tree (10w) - resistance is 10w, but there is an improvisational penalty for Climb Walls.
    Improvisational Penalties:
  9. Mundane ability vs. magical resistance - I suggest making this steep, perhaps -10 or -20. This is based loosely on alien world modifiers with the reasoning that magic is from another plane. Maybe the penalty is -10 for a worshipper facing a familiar style of magic (theist vs. feat) and -20 for facing another style (theist vs. blessing). Mystics are at the most disadvantageous penalty at all times, but any mystic should be used to that.
  10. Inappropriate magic penalty - I am inclined toward harshness here too. Magic is specific and I advocate -10 (minor discrepancy) to -20 (the maximum penalty, just because I don't want to say no to an attempt.)

I hope to gain differentiation of mundane and magical abilities with few special cases. Mundane abilities have a wider area of effect (Climb works on walls, trees, etc.), but do not ignore mundane opposition (mundanely higher or smoother obstacles are harder to climb). Mundane abilities are not set up to overcome magical obstacles, but they can be increased to levels that can overcome magical resistance even with a huge penalty (Climb 10w3 easily beats magically hard to climb wall 10w, even with a -20 penalty). Magical abilities ignore most mundane obstacles, but they are narrowly focused. Both types of abilities still can augment the other, so there is interaction.

Links to old posts: I think that this solution takes care of the Jump Over Tree vs. jumping problem without Run Upon Snow and flying being applied differently.

Thanks,
Andy