Re: Re: Fetch as victim of AP loss? (Was AP bids)

From: Andrew Dawson <asmpd_at_...>
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 20:55:18 -0500

At 08:08 PM 12/06/2000 +0000, Wulf Corbett wrote:
>Sorry, yes, I modified my idea as I wrote, but didn't backtrack &
>change the wording. I think you SHOULD have to pay to replace a 'dead'
>fetch, as it's unique (or nearly so), and intimately tied to the
>Shaman. Awakening a Fetch is part of the HP cost of actually becoming
>a Shaman after all. Think of the HP cost as rebonding with the spirit
>as it recovers in the Spirit World, to re-establish a link to allow it
>to travel back to the middle world.

I'll go a step further. I suggest that you need to reacquire/reawaken your fetch as described on HW:RiG pp. 214-215, spending 3 HP to cement the fetch. Your Fetch isn't a run-of-the-mill spirit and it isn't a plain old follower even if it can act as one; depending on your Tradition, it may be part of you.

This is not a harsh reading of the rules to be dropped onto someone taking advantage of the system as was expressed in an earlier post on the subject; it's a logical repercussion of throwing your Fetch out in front to protect you in a dangerous situation. Just hope that your opponent doesn't know any truly dreadful secret that allows permanent destruction of your Fetch; then you really would be hurting.

Thanks,
Andy