Re: Re: Fetch as victim of AP loss? (Was AP bids)

From: Andrew Dawson <asmpd_at_...>
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 08:54:59 -0500

At 11:34 AM 12/07/2000 +0000, Wulf Corbett wrote:
>On Wed, 06 Dec 2000 20:55:18 -0500, Andrew Dawson <asmpd_at_...>
>wrote:
>>I'll go a step further. I suggest that you need to reacquire/reawaken your
>>fetch as described on HW:RiG pp. 214-215, spending 3 HP to cement the
>>fetch.
>I'd agree up to a point, but I think some of the 3 HP are spent
>learning the skills associated with Shamanism, and gaining the 'perks'
>a Shaman gains over a normal Animist. 3 HP would not be breaking the
>rules, certainly, but as I think of it, a 'dead' Fetch just returns to
>the Spirit World, so the Shaman can get it back, thus only 1 HP. If we
>treat Fetches as Followers, dead Fetches are going to be relatively
>common, no need to make Shamanism any more expensive than it is!

I'm not arguing with your interpretation; I'd just do this differently. If you check HW:RiG p. 214, you'll see that there is a cost of 3 HP to join the tradition (and gain Tradition Knowledge) and another 3 HP cost to cement the Fetch.

If you want to treat the Fetch as a follower, that's fine. I don't think that's a canonical position. Fetches can act as a follower (HW:RiG p. 208). I don't interpret this to mean that the Fetch is a normal follower. That's my opinion.

Finally, I take to heart the mention that not everyone has a Fetch and that a Fetch may be part of the shaman (HW:RiG p. 207). In my stories/games, this means that the loss of a Fetch is much more traumatic than the loss of a replaceable follower. "Part of you has just been ripped out. You no longer feel the connection to the Other Side. The voices of the spirits seem muted and far away. The colors seem less vibrant and the voices of the humans around you grate on your ears. For the first time in years, you are alone, even in the midst of your human friends. What to you do?"

Thanks,
Andy