Re: Fetch

From: Kmnellist_at_...
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2000 15:05:22 EST

In a message dated 12/8/00 5:55:21PM, you write:

<< eff's response clears up the anthropological and canonical  (Gregopological?) nature of shamanism. Your fetch isn't property or  a tool you own -- it is a part of yourself that you have recovered or  discovered. You may have fasted, taken drugs, journeyed to the  Otherworld, but the fetch is an aspect of YOU, not a spirit you  enslave. >>

How does this work for Fetches which might be embodied in an animal follower, as per RQ. Does this no longer happen? Kargzant fetches are stallion or hawk spirits. Are they really 'just' spirits or could they also be actual horses or hawks?

FWIW I am going to treat fetches as followers in most respects, expect that they have a Might equal to their Shamans best ability - in this particular case 'Intimidate'.
It struck me that a badly flawed shaman (who gained a huge flaw on a Heroquest, for example 'Scared of Spiders 15W' after meeting Cragspider) might suddenly get a mightier fetch, and a reason to become even more flawed ("I'll do anything on the spirit world to keep away from those crawling critters!").

Keith N