RE: Digest Number 385

From: Adam Benedict Canning <dahak_at_...-online.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 19:55:53 -0000

> Message: 2
> Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 20:10:55 -0000
> From: "Erik " <epweissengruber_at_...>
> Subject: Re: Fetch as victim of AP loss? (Was AP bids)
>
> We have been discussing a series of related questions, and
> trying to
> extrapolate rules from them

> > > Can one Integrate other Shamens Fetches if one drives them to
>
> But a recent comment has clarified the role of shamanism in
> Glorantha
> and the HW game:
>

> > I would say no. Or perhaps No.
> >
> > A fetch is a part of the shaman. I'd suggest looking at
> the writeup
> on
> > Fetechs just to see what they really are?
> >
> > A great spirit might be able to strip a shaman of his
> fetch but...
> I do
> > not think that you can steal it and integrate it, sorry.
>
> Jeff's response clears up the anthropological and canonical
> (Gregopological?) nature of shamanism. Your fetch isn't
> property or
> a tool you own -- it is a part of yourself that you have
> recovered or
> discovered. You may have fasted, taken drugs, journeyed to the
> Otherworld, but the fetch is an aspect of YOU, not a spirit you
> enslave.

And how does that stop me [I.e another Shaman] capturing it. Its still a spirit[admittedly one with a physical manifestation, but Anaxials roster is clear in allowing the binding or integration of embodied spirits.]. It's just your spirit and if your careless enough to leave it around where I can stick it in a fetish or consume its substance then you should be stuffed.

The sentance previous to the one saying it is part of you also says it is a spirit which aids you out of a sense of love or duty, which doesn't sound like an indivisible part of you and the paragraph starting Fetch implies that they are not all the same.

Its not as if there are not other things which can physically manifest that a Shaman can't capture.

The rules on spirit combat make it clear that one can enslave a shaman through spirit combat if he fails his escape

> Onto the RULES:
> any extended conflict will have permanent repercussions. So if the
> shaman sufferes a major defeat, then you could penalize the
> fetch .

And Spirit Combat [HW:RiG p209] says a Shaman can bind or integrate spirits he defeats.

> Any use of Might or a specific ability attributed to the
> fetch would
> be at 50%

Why 50% and for how long?

> It seems that the rules (once again) are comprehensive enough to
> render into NARRATIVE terms a SIMULATION of Gloranthan reality.

But what exactly Gloranthan reality is is somewhat in debate.

Not that Integrating or binding someone else's fetch is a nice thing to do, but there are some very unpleasant people out there.

Adam