Re: Re: bows

From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 20:49:33 +0000

On Wed, 20 Dec 2000 20:25:47 -0000, "Bryan Thexton" <bethexton_at_...> wrote:

>Well, it looks like Roderick gave the definitive answer about their
>tactics,

While I won't actually disagree with Roderick, it's not a set of tactics credible from published keywords. Warriors have NO ranged weapon abilities. Will future publications change this? Is it more errata?

Besides that, tactics relying on mobility are no use in defending a fixed base (like your home). You have to either break up the defensive forces to exploit a breakthrough, or fall back & abandon your home. Mind you, the Orlanthi were losing to the Lunars overall at first... maybe this is why they all ended up as guerilla bands in the hills?

>Anyways, it looks like the official description is: blast them at
>short range with thrown weapons, hit them while they are
>disorganized. I'd suggest looking at the early francs to derive
>other tactical notes, as that was pretty much exactly what they did.

It also sounds very Norse. Vikings would open a battle by hurling heavy throwing axes then charging, often throwing spears too. If the axes didn't injure or disable the enemy, they might at least dig into shields, rendering them too heavy to be useful, much like the flexible soft metal heads on Roman pila.

Wulf