Re: Sundry rules questions for demo

From: JEFFREY KYER <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 00:28:33 -0000

other questions were answered adequately...

Might I ask what you're using? I admit that I stick to something short and sweet -- explaining the game takes enough work.

> 2. It's annoying that the ability levels for for
> followers and fetches is based on the best ability of
> the character - it encourages narrow growth instead of
> broad growth. Has anyone come up with house rule for
> this?

While it MAY encourage folks to specialize, my observations are that this is not quite as useful as it might be -- any good narrator will give a variety of challenges to the hero.

Also, followers are a cheap solution for missing skills but you have to remember this: They have their own feelings -- they may not show up  for that trip to Snakepipe Hollow or go on that experimental heroquest you thought up... which means you have to buy up that relationship (yes, its cheap but it cuts into HP for your own skills)

See the thread on spending HP for details on why folks tend not to specialize in HW. There are just too many challenges out there to buy just one skill up.

> 3. How 'fleshed out' can a follower be? Can he/she
> have affinities and feats?

They get one keyword with all attendant ablilities and or affinties and feats. Devotee/INitiate of X or Proffession. The other trait is some other thing they are known for.

> 5. Nils (I believe) had volunteered to gather
> descriptions of those funky feats (sunset leap, etc).
> Has this taken place? Is this posted anywhere?

See the files attached to this mailing list or to the Herowars list.

Have fun storming the Castle!

Jeff