Re: [Was: bows] Slings

From: Henrix <henrix_at_...>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 02:07:03 +0100

At 01:17 2000-12-21, JEFFREY KYER wrote:

> > The Balearic isles, yes.
>
>The Cretans were also noted.

As were those from Rhodes. But it was the Balearic slingers that have been described as carrying three slings of different lengths, by Strabo, I think it was.

Slingers are cheap, so basically all ancient armies had some. Even the Romans when invading Britain, as can be seen from lead slingstones found in various hill forts, bearing inscriptions in Latin ("Take That!"). The british tribes also had a lot of slingers, of course, but I seem to recall that they only used stones. So the hill forts had stones coming out and lead coming in.

>And different sayings as well!
>
>(Here's another!)

Oh, yes. Slingers seem to have liked scratching messages on their bullets, werever they come from, and sometimes they even had messages in the moulds for casting the bullets. Curses were popular. I suppose they give an edge?

Is there not some sort of special magical sling ammunition in Irish myth? (Or am I just channeling some other game, or perhaps Moorcock? They have some in his Corum books, made from the brains (?) of their dead enemies, I think.)

---
Henrix