Sundry rules questions for demo

From: Thom Baguley <t.s.baguley_at_...>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 12:00:25 +0000

> From: Theo Posselt <TPOSSELT_at_...>
>
>I'm preparing to run a demo game at a convention in
>January, and I have a number of questions.
>Unfortunately this mail is a bit fragmented, so I
>apologize in advance.
>
>My questions:
>
>1. Where is 'mastery special' described? It shows up
>in the results charts, but I'm not clear what exactly
>this is.

Same as a double success, iff both contestants have masteries which cancel. (Low roll wins).

>2. It's annoying that the ability levels for for
>followers and fetches is based on the best ability of
>the character - it encourages narrow growth instead of
>broad growth. Has anyone come up with house rule for
>this?

Possibly, however, narrow growth is a legitimate option. Just give people varied challenges and they should change tack! Also, advancement is double cost unless episode-related. Hero Wars is an excellent rule system for combat lite sessions, so characters who go for narrow advancement will have to pay more to increase combat (if it is unrelated to session). It hasn't been a problem in my game (and Shamen deserve a good Fetch).

>3. How 'fleshed out' can a follower be? Can he/she
>have affinities and feats?

Our house rule is one keyword, maximum. So "Initiate of Bevara 17" and "Quarterstaff 13" is OK. As is "Warrior 17" and "Intimidating 13". I'd allow an affinity in place of a keyword, but most people just take the Magic keyword. So far it hasn't been unbalancing.

>4. How does battle training function? A Fronan has it
>at 16, Swadal at 18. What's the difference?

This is covered in Anaxial's roster.

>5. Nils (I believe) had volunteered to gather
>descriptions of those funky feats (sunset leap, etc).
>Has this taken place? Is this posted anywhere?

Not sure. Greg just posted his Sunset Leap myth/story to the GTA list. I'm sure it will annoy some people, but it does show quite well how he views feats. I hope he'll post it here soon!

Thom