Re: flavours of followers

From: Guy Hoyle <ghoyle1_at_...>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 21:44:25 -0600

On 12/26/00 at 1:18 AM Bryan Thexton wrote:
>Champions (the original hero system release) first came out in the
>very early 80's-I forget the exact year, but I think '81 or '82. The
>original edition had rules for "dependant NPCs" (DNPC) as well as for
>enemies, both taken as disadvantages during character creations. The
>DNPC were explicitly supposed to be more hindrance than help. Later
>editions added rules for creating followers, ranging from nameless
>thugs to almost as powerful side kicks. *nostalgic sigh for some of
>his old Champions super-heros*

The group that I will be introducing to Hero Wars and Glorantha is mainly used to Champions and the Hero System as their RPG of choice. Needless to say, the design philosophy of these two systems is completely different. Can you (or anyone else) give some hints about easing the transition? They don't actually want to switch syustems, but I thgink they'd be willing to try something new as a change of pace.

One thing I probably will want to stress to them is the flexibility of HW, and the creativity it encoiurages. I've been a Glorantha fan since 1st edition, but they don't know anything really about the background. I don't think they'd be very excited with having to pick up a lot of background info before they could play. So I thought I'd start them out as Orlanthi from a remote clan, emphasizing the similarities with Celts and Vikings, which they are familiar with, gradulally introducing them to the Orlanthi pantheon, then Lunars, etc. I won't actually be planning the campaign until Thunder Rebels at al. have started coming out.

Guy Hoyle

We Meddle in God's Domain So That You Don't Have To