Re: flavours of followers

From: Bryan Thexton <bethexton_at_...>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 20:28:49 -0000

> The group that I will be introducing to Hero Wars and Glorantha is
mainly
> used to Champions and the Hero System as their RPG of choice.
Needless to
> say, the design philosophy of these two systems is completely
different.
> Can you (or anyone else) give some hints about easing the
transition? They
> don't actually want to switch syustems, but I thgink they'd be
willing to
> try something new as a change of pace.

Guy;

Well, sort of. First a disclaimer or two. For starters, I'm fairly awful at running games as opposed to being a very involved and supportive player. Secondly, I haven't actually yet had a chance to play Hero Wars, because my local friends haven't managed to get organised to do any role playing in about four years, and life is too busy right now to let me join another group strictly for role playing (not and stay employed, married, and in contact with my existing friends). Finally, when I did game more, we dabbled in all sorts of game systems with great glea, so I can't overly relate to to people who don't want to try a new system.

Having said all that, I do have a few thougths: 1) Get one of them a copy of the "King of Dragon Pass" computer game as a late Christmas present. Then at least one of the players will have some concept of what is going on.
2) I think there was a demo scenario, maybe with pregenerated characters (?) available a while ago. Perhaps first run something like that before making "permanent" characters, so they can get a taste of what it is all about.
3) Try giving them copies of a few of the basic Orlanthi myths, like how Humakt became DEATH and the Lightbringers quest, to give them a bit of flavor. Depends, of course, on how much they like reading. 4) If they prefer the super-hero version of the Hero system, possibly run a high level campaign where they are, in effect, super heroes.

I'm sure others could give you much more tried and tested advice, however!

--Bryan