Re: Atyar - sorcery?

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2001 14:53:30 +1300

Keith Nellist:

>Me> There also could be a sorcerous Atyar cult of loremasters whose
> > practitioners can easily succumb to chaos.
>
>Interesting, is this a case of misapplied veneration

It needn't be misapplied because of Atyar's origins.

>or is Atyar the
>sorcerous part of Tien, the other parts being Than (animist) and
>Thanatar (Theist).

There's lots of variation in the RQ3 writeups (cf Lords of Terror p64 for discussion on differences between Carmanian and Dorastran versions of the Cult). How Hero Wars will treat this is unknown to me (although Jeff's comment seems to imply that Issaries has had the same thought - or he may just mean that it was something that I thought of and not anything official).

>IMO there are lots of sorcerous orders which are actually
>misapplied venerators.

I don't think so for the simple reason that such spells are more difficult than pure sorcery orders. In turf fights, the pure orders are going to win. Only in Heortland/Holy Country and Safelster will they prosper.

--Peter Metcalfe