Re: misapplied venerators

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 12:50:21 +1300

Keith Nellist:

> > >IMO there are lots of sorcerous orders which are actually
> > >misapplied venerators.
>
> > I don't think so for the simple reason that such spells are
> > more difficult than pure sorcery orders. In turf fights,
> > the pure orders are going to win. Only in Heortland/Holy
> > Country and Safelster will they prosper.

>I also think there might be reasonable numbers amongst sailors,
>so coastal areas.

There's only one known misapplied order among the sailors, Dormal, and that's only in the sailor of Malkioni regions. In Theistic and other lands, he is worshipped as a God. I can't see any need for sailors to join other misapplied orders, considering that a low order is equivalent to a guild.

>My angle on this is to quickly come up with a choice of sorcerous
>orders for a Jrusteli Magician in the Imperial Age (9th Century)
>for a fairly Open, mid level campaign.

Sog City (use schools as provided beforehand. Their syllabus won't have changed in all those centuries. True story: before Karl Popper came to Canterbury University, the Philosophy department was so hidebound that one lecturer not only taught the same subjects as his father did but even used his father's notes at certain points).

Uncorruptible Sons of Damolstan: Anti-Mostali fighters that took over the Iron Mountain mines during Nralar's reign. Also known as the "Detect Traps" School.

Order of the New Iron Staff: Sorcerers that served in the Army of Rightness that had magic "which helped sweep the battle field clear of foes".

The New Order: Supported by Ullmal, they magically implemented "an aggressive and imperial policy". Tried to take over Seshnela in Saval's reign (by making a sorcerer king - nobles were against and clergy initially undecided). Most Seshnegi members devoured by the Serpent of Seshnela or persecuted by Saval. In Jrustela it was disbanded and its ideas clarified (but revived again within the God Learners).

Monks of Blood: Created a new range of Combat Spells to help their troops, like make arrows bounce off soldiers or making infantry run faster than a horse. Rumoured to have spells that made sorcerers breathe out poisonous clouds, turn grass into nails and making wounds that will eventually kill. Monastery plundered by Saval.

Immanent Mastery School: Apostates.

Reformed Sorcerers Alliance: a loose band of wizards. Probably include secret New Orders and Monks of Blood. Later became formalized into:

God Learners Collective: Begins the explorations of Magic.

Astelkal Horse: Seshnegi order that warred against the Dark Empire. Probably travelled to the Law Plane for its magics.

Zistorites: 'nuff said.

--Peter Metcalfe