Re: Orders

From: Kmnellist_at_...
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2001 16:06:50 EST

Thanks for the Orders, Peter, great stuff. I get the impression, but could be wrong, that in your view most orders are rather large organisations. I think I have a personal preference for smaller/obscurer orders as befits (IMO) sorcerers on the edge of the established church. Do you have any suggestions as to the 'normal' size of a sorcerous order? I guess that the definition of an Order, in "reality", does not need to be as fixed as a magic keyword implies (although HW is really as flexible as one can get in that respect). Especially with Grimoire theft going on as implied by HW, p193, 4th paragraph.

<< Order of the New Iron Staff: Sorcerers that served in the Army  of Rightness that had magic "which helped sweep the battle field  clear of foes".>>

Was there an Order of the Old Iron Staff, or the Any Old Iron Order?

<< The New Order: Supported by Ullmal, they magically implemented  "an aggressive and imperial policy". Tried to take over Seshnela  in Saval's reign (by making a sorcerer king - nobles were against  and clergy initially undecided). Most Seshnegi members devoured  by the Serpent of Seshnela or persecuted by Saval. In Jrustela  it was disbanded and its ideas clarified (but revived again within  the God Learners).>>

Previously the Order of Joy?
Love Will Tear Us Apart was their biggest hit.

 <<Monks of Blood: >>

Nice and friendly.

<< Reformed Sorcerers Alliance: a loose band of wizards. Probably  include secret New Orders and Monks of Blood. Later became  formalized into:>>

I would have thought this was a more political alliance rather than an Order or School; an alliance between assorted Sorcerors who don;t exactly agree except on a few points. I guess the line between politics and theology can get a bit thin sometimes.

 <<God Learners Collective: Begins the explorations of Magic.>>

Again, 'collective' suggests to me an amalgam of different parts, collected together for some joint purpose.

<< Astelkal Horse: Seshnegi order that warred against the Dark>>

I had believe the Astelkal Horse to be a magical technique, rather than an order.

 Zistorites: 'nuff said.

 --Peter Metcalfe