Re: Spending your Wealth...

From: Tim Ellis <tim_at_...>
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 11:45:39 -0000

> It would be a good way to simulate your relatioships without true
> interaction between PC and NPCs (HW seems to be fond of it. I don't
> like it, but your really need those relatioship skills in
> heroquests.)

I think it is a very useful mechanic to have, but shouldn't be used to entirely replace any interaction or roleplaying. Different groups will have different styles of campaign, and what suits one won't necessarily suit another. If you are playing a day by day campaign set in a small clan then you will pretty much have to have relationships with the NPC's as a driving aspect of the campaign.

If, on the other hand, you are playing a pendragon style game where you are just playing out the one significant "adventure" that occurs in a year, and that may not always deeply involve the clan on a "man to man" basis then having a way of representing the liklihood of support/aid or amount of goodwill can be very useful. (Or, indeed a one off game where the Characters may not have had much chance to build up meaningful relationships with the NPC's...)