Re: worship X vs. initiate of Y

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2001 14:31:13 -0800

I suppose I've got a little handle on this one...

> To use the heortlings as examples, most people have both "worships
> storm pantheon" and "initiate of Y" (some have "devotee of Y"
> instead, with Y = Orlanth, Ernalda, or some other god).
>
> I've been trying to keep straight in my head what each of these is
> used for, and how they relate to game world (non-rules) items. One
> is considered a measure of piety, but I honestly forget which. And
> if you are asking for divine aid you use your initiate of score, I
> think, but maybe not.
>
> Well, as you can see, I'm all in a muddle. I know it is all in the
> books somewhere, but whenever I go looking I seem to find new things
> I'd missed before but miss other things I know I saw somewhere
> previously.....
>
> Could anyone who really understands what each of these means, and
> when you would use them, and why I would want to raise them, put up a
> *brief* summary? I for one would be tremendously grateful!

Use "Initiate" or "Devotee" when you are talking to your own, personal god. It is your measure of how pious you are.

For example, I'm an Initiate of Humakt, and a very junior officer in a hero band, the equivalent of Sargeant or Corporal. Every officer in my unit is killed (vile Lunar scum, specifically targetting officers like that!). I don't have any feats to help me control the rest of my men, but I can use my "Initiate of" ability to call on Humakt for the ability to lead the rest of the unit (Oh lord Humakt, lend me your strength that I may kick the butts of your enemies") (hey this is an example, don't get on my case for not improvising the "Rally Warriors" feat from my Honor affinity).

Use "Worship Pantheon" when you are talking to any other god of your pantheon.

For example, I'm a Devotee of Humakt. For some reason I really *really* REALLY have to call rain. (I don't know why, it's an example, okay?). Humakt has absolutely no Storm powers - he gave them up when he renounced his kinfolk. But I still want to be able to call on Orlanth or Heler (the rain gods), so instead of my "Devotee of Humakt 10w3", I use my "Worship Storm Pantheon 13", and pray really hard. If I'm lucky, one of the Rain-types over at Storm Central hear my pleas and respond with a gully-washer.

Roderick