Re: Sorcery Blessings, Curses and Spells

From: Tim Ellis <tim_at_...>
Date: Sat, 06 Jan 2001 23:14:09 -0000

> The second paragraph of page 192 of Hero Wars states that curses and
> blessings "are not affected by the normal multiple target
modifiers."
> The third paragraph states that curses are affected by "appropriate
> multiple target multipliers". Which is correct?

We discussed this once before - See message 6167 and the ensuing discussion, a precis of which I'll provide below

I said

>My best guess at the moment is that the multiple target does not
>apply to Blessings, but does apply to curses - bearing in mind that
>the narrator could always treat 'an army' or 'a village' as a single
>entity

Which was confirmed by Roderick

>Correct - by participating in the ceremony, "the congregation" is
>blessed as a single entity. Enemies are not part of "our
>congregation". If you could curse your enemies easily than the
>Kingdom of War would be a magically-blasted wasteland (okay,
>magically blasted by the Loskalmi, rather than the KingdomofWarians)
>
>If a Liturgists wanted to bless someone *not* at the ceremony, such
>as "our boys in the field", then multiple targets *do* apply unless
>there is some major connection between the Liturgist and the "boys in
>the field".

A susbsequent (non combat!) example of mine (again, given a RR seal of approval, I must have been on some kind of roll!)

>Since the mechanic for the blessing is that the Liturgist makes
> a "Lead Prayer" roll, gianing exceptional support from the
> congregation, I think that to gain the benefits without
> costing "multiple targets" reisitance, the congregation has to be
> taking part in the worship ceremony in some way to benefit.
>
>So if the Wizard comes to your village to cast the "Plough Blessing",
>those farmers who go to the church and pray will get the bonus, those
>that skip the service to do some ploughing won't...
>
>None farming villagers turn up and pray to add their support to the
>blessing.

I also gave an example of how the scores worked out in a Black Horse blessing in the original message, should anyone be interested.