Re: Questions from our first session

From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Sat, 06 Jan 2001 23:56:43 +0000

On Sun, 07 Jan 2001 12:09:24 +1300, Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...> wrote:

>>Yes, you certainly can. Your narrator will decide if it's close enough
>>to the listed Feats to be a simple Improvisation, with the standard
>>penalty, or less fitting to the others listed, and thus deserving a
>>greater penalty.
>
>Whether or not there's a listed feat that corresponds to what the
>initiate attempts to improvise has nothing to do with the
>improvisation penalty. The penalty is -3 regardless of whether
>he is using the combat affinity to destroy a shield or to throw a
>melee weapon.

You misinterpret my comment, which was imprecise, admittedly. What I meant was "Your Narrator will decide if it's close enough to the sort of thing the deity is known to have done already, using the listed feats as a guide, to be a simple Improvisation, with the standard penalty. If not, but still a possible Feat within the Affinity, the Narrator may still allow it, but at a higher penalty." Taking your own example, the penalty should be more than -3 to use a Combat Affinity to, say, repair a shield, but if a known Feat is Unbreakable Shield it MIGHT be allowable at about -6 or so.

Wulf