Re: magic items; slings; Riders; Aztecs

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2001 22:25:37 -0800

(catching up on an old message...)

Alain wrote

>2/ As I understand, magic items are mainly to be used as augmentation
>of the abilties through an augmentation test on the augmentation
>resistance chart. But can one create a magic item that give automatic
>increase in an ability, without the need for a roll ?

Actually, I believe magic items are mainly to be used as is, using their rating. I frequently made rolls for Snapper, my character's boat.

David asked

>Is there any evidence that Celtic&#92;Germanic&#92;Nordic herders used
>slings?

I recall an Irish saga where a feast degenerated to the point where heroes were using slings in the hall. (My guess is this is Bricriu's feast, but I'd have to look it up.)

Bryan

>In the core rules, page 107, under the title: Grazer Occupation
>Keywords, it says "All grazer men are riders (herdsmen) and advance
>socially to become warriors, leadres, and elders. Similarly, women
>are riders, mothers, teachers, and elders."
>
>Then in the next paragraph, titled "Herdsman, Rider" it starts: "You
>are a man responsible for..."
>
>So, are young women riders, or aren't they?

I view them as two separate age groups, which translated into English have the same name. Rider men and Rider women don't have identical responsibilities -- each is in one sense primarily responsible for becoming the next age group.

Gareth

>Speaking of unsavoury magical practices, I've been reading Aztech history
>lately, and it really is so easy to translate their mythologies into the
>kind of structure that GS employs.

Long ago, I ran an Aztec heroquest at a convention, called "Stop Cortes!" Your goal was to get a RuneQuest spirit magic spell to use against the Spaniards (Ignite was of course the best one).

David Dunham dunham_at_...
Glorantha/HW/RQ page: http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein