Re: Disciples/runelords

From: Tim Ellis <tim_at_...>
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2001 11:01:23 -0000

Not Bevara, but OK for Chalana Arroy? How do you see Bevara as being excluded?

  I doubt Issaries has disciples as I
> have trouble with the image of Gringle Goodsell as a hero.

I think he may be a hero-former of an Issaries Sub Cult, which would also account for his periodic absences from Apple Lane...

> Whether Orlanth and Ernalda can have disciples is probably
> complicated by their Great God status (after all, what's the
> difference if any between a disciple of Orlanth and an initiate to
> Orlanth the Great God?).

Hard to say until we know more about what a disciple is.... (do you mean a devotee to Orlanth the Great God here?) If a Disciple is one "trying to become" the god by acting like them, and a Devotee to a Great God becomes subsumed by them on learning the secret, the end result is as close to the same as makes no odds, but presumably being a disciple is more than just learning the Cult secret....

Does this mean you don't think it is possible to be a disciple of an Aspect of a (Great) god (eg Orlanth Adventurous, Orlanth Lawspeaker etc) - This would leave them in a strange position where you could have

Hero-cult - Hero Former
God's Cult - Disciple
Great God's Cult - nothing "better" than a Devotee in one aspect or another (whatever "Better" means... - Possibly just "Different")

> Greg once wrote that there was about 2% of the general population

[were Runelords]

> (c.f. What It Takes To... Convince the Examiners in Wyrms
> Footprints). However most of this in HW would now be taken up by
> Devotees and social positions such as Ring Members, Priests and
> Warband Leaders.

...And Pawn Shop Owners....

but more seriously, yes, most, if not all of the RQ "Rules" advantages of being a Runelord can be "written in" to a HW Character, and the none-rules advantages are largely a matter of roleplaying anyway.