Re: Disciples/runelords

From: Andrew Dawson <asmpd_at_...>
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2001 17:39:06 -0500

At 07:35 PM 01/08/2001 +1300, Peter Metcalfe wrote:
>>could also see a disciple of Vanganth, especially if he is one of those
>>Heortlings who is born with the ability to fly (RiG p. 64).
>
>I don't consider that having a natural ability to fly requires
>one to spend 90% of his time as a disciple of Vanganth. RiG
>p64 implies the opposite with the next sentence ("Others are
>taught by Vanganth...").

I don't consider the natural ability to fly requiring one to be a disciple of Vanganth either. I was pointing out that a natural born flyer may be more inclined (philosophically, psychologically, whatever) to become a disciple (or any level of worshipper) of Vanganth. It may be that natural born flyers have some connection with Vanganth based on him being "the first [human or god][1] to learn to fly on the winds" (RiG p. 63). Maybe they are descendents; maybe they are descendents of others who followed Vanganth; maybe not.

>The criterion for rejecting Vanganth disciples that I was
>thinking of, was that in teaching only one affinity, it's
>is a subcult (as opposed to an aspect of Orlanth like
>Adventurous, etc), thus only 10% of one's time need be
>spent following him.

I agree that subcult status may prohibit disciples, but that's a guess because I don't know the disciple rules. A devotee of Vanganth will actually spend at least 70% of his time (60% for devotee of Orlanth [Aspect] plus 10% for Vanganth). The devotee of Vanganth who decides to learn Vanganth's secret has relinquished his ability to rise as high as possible (i.e., learn the secret) in the Orlanth [Aspect] cult and, in my games, would be spending the majority of his time emulating Vanganth, a specialization of Orlanth [Aspect].

[1] I'm guessing that Vanganth was actually a god from the beginning or that he isn't really a Thunder Brother.

Thanks,
Andy