Re: Disciples/runelords

From: JEFFREY KYER <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2001 23:00:43 -0000

> I don't consider the natural ability to fly requiring one to be a
disciple
> of Vanganth either. I was pointing out that a natural born flyer may
be

I'd have to agree with that. Vanganth is just the 'best flyer.' Hmm.  I wonder how one could reflect the natural flying in HW? Just take that 'you can fly' ability at 5w as a 'freebie' and one of your boosted abilities?

> more inclined (philosophically, psychologically, whatever) to become
> disciple (or any level of worshipper) of Vanganth. It may be that
natural
> born flyers have some connection with Vanganth based on him being
"the
> first [human or god][1] to learn to fly on the winds" (RiG p. 63).
Maybe
> they are descendents; maybe they are descendents of others who
followed
> Vanganth; maybe not.

I'm thinking he had decendants. He's one of those lusty Storm Tribe Thunderbrothers afterall.

> I agree that subcult status may prohibit disciples, but that's a
guess
> because I don't know the disciple rules. A devotee of Vanganth will
> actually spend at least 70% of his time (60% for devotee of Orlanth
> [Aspect] plus 10% for Vanganth). The devotee of Vanganth who decides

I'd wait on Thunder Rebels before debating about Vanganth and disciples. I'm thinking the rules on disciples haven't been written thus far.

> learn Vanganth's secret has relinquished his ability to rise as high
as
> possible (i.e., learn the secret) in the Orlanth [Aspect] cult and,
in my
> games, would be spending the majority of his time emulating
Vanganth, a
> specialization of Orlanth [Aspect].

One secret to a customer. At least as far as gods/aspects/subcults are concerned.

> [1] I'm guessing that Vanganth was actually a god from the beginning
or
> that he isn't really a Thunder Brother.

I think he's a Thunder Brother. I'm not sure why he'd not be. From what I recall, he was included in the keywords as a sample subcult for Orlanth (but wasn't documented as well as he ought to be)

Jeff