Re: Alternative Augmentation Rules

From: rexabean_at_...
Date: Thu Sep 16 11:42:17 2010

G'day all,
>> Bryan said:
>> Also I remember a previous post that propsed turning
>> augmentation into an ability test by using the
>> resistance number as a penalty on ones TN? Has
>> anyone tried that?

> Wulf replied:
> Yes, we were using that, but we switched to the
> above idea ...{(+1/+2 for each 10 points ?}... for
> speed (saved everyone worrying about
> EXACTLY how much augmentation to risk). But it
> worked just fine at medium levels - below rating 17
> it was too hard to succeed with a decent Augment,
> above 1W2 too easy.

We use the ability test with a +1 TN? (can't remember the word)/ +2 edge requiring a straight ability roll (since you get the +5 advantage for affecting self or something held 99% of the time). For every extra +1/+2 you subtract 5 from the ability then make a roll. We also make only a fumble give a penalty of -1 x value to the ability/feat/etc being used for the augment for the rest of that scene, with a failure giving no result, and both cases stopping any further attempts at augmentation. It reduces the number of rolls for the GM and we generally trust most of our players to be honest (except the mini-maxer who gets watched more often <grin>).

My gut feeling is that Wulf is correct about this breaking down at low and high levels. Although one can argue that low levels should have difficulties and high levels should get large bonuses <shrug>.

Cheers, Andrew

Message sent by MyMail http://www.mymail.com.au/