Re: Disciples/runelords

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 17:12:56 +1300

Michael Hitchens:

>On Mon, 8 Jan 2001, Peter Metcalfe wrote:

> > >Whoa. That few? I'm guessing that many players, espially
> > >eq-RQers, will want to be disciples.

> > I think they would want to be heroes instead.

>So you see the two as mutually exclusive?

No. I do consider that disciples are much less likely to become heroes than devotees. Looking at the careers of known heroes (Arkat, Argrath, Harrek, etc.), very few strike me as being disciples and most have strayed from the straight and narrow path of their god (Arkat's betrayal's are legion, Argrath's only less so and he flirts with the enemy dragons, Harrek skins his god and so forth). have done rather dubious things.

>I'd like to think most of the major gods culd.

But most cults are those of major gods, so we end up with most cults having disciples which is known not to be true.

>As someone else has said,
>spending 90% of your time slaying chaos doesn't sound impossible as a Urox
>disciple.

I agree. But I said that I believed Uroxi disciples unlikely for a different reason (namely that he's a defiant cult rather than a true god).

>And while Gringle may be only a devotee or initiate, I would
>think a travelling merchant disciple is conceivable.

I don't see why a travelling merchant is somehow more special in Issaries eyes than a shopkeeper.

> > Greg once wrote that there was about 2% of the general population
> > (c.f. What It Takes To... Convince the Examiners in Wyrms
> > Footprints). However most of this in HW would now be taken up by
> > Devotees and social positions such as Ring Members, Priests and
> > Warband Leaders.

>So we're now talking 2% devotees, disciples, ring members?

IMO yes.

--Peter Metcalfe