Re : followers

From: Christoph Kohring <ChOK_at_...>
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 18:39:22 +0100

> Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 21:49:04 -0800
> From: "Roderick and Ellen Robertson" <rjremr_at_...>
> Subject: Re: followers

> "Followers" as written are meant to be the servents, spear carriers, and
> faceless minions. In conflicts they don't have a seperate identity, they are
> part of the hero's "squad", and only act to support him. Now, you can have a
> "follower" who's job it is to act as a courier ("take this message to the
> king!") or similar "independent" function, but even those are still mere
> adjuncts to the hero. This type of follower gets into the credits as
> "Spearman #3" or "Tough Thug". They are monster-fodder, and don't even need
> to be named.
>
> There has been talk on the lists of a "companion" or "sidekick" type
> follower, someone who is more than a spear-carrier, and less than an ally.
> While HW does not have rules for them, various people on the list have
> suggested 25 word descriptions. This is meant to be a sidekick such as
> Xena's Gabrielle or Batman's Robin - not as skilled, but constantly around.
> This varient will probably *not* get official recognition in a rulesbook,
> but gives you a bit more "independence".

Gabrielle and Robin-and all other companions or sidekicks-are recognized by the rules. They are in fact player-characters, "Heroes"... ;o)

This is what you wrote in the writer's guidelines:

> The group is of 4-6 players, all with a single hero of common origin from
> friendly clans. All of them work in a cooperative hero band. One or two of the
> characters need to be of leader quality (i.e., with up to two abilities at
> 12w2 or three at 5w2; plus several at 15w-18w; and with appropriate
> companions). The other characters are, at the start of the campaign, beginning
> characters generated using the rules in chapter 2 of Hero Wars.
>
> Leader characters are significantly more powerful than beginning characters.
> Narrators should assign these characters to players if:
>
> - A player is a leader (by virtue of age, position, or knowledge about the
> game or setting); and
> - The group can role-play the power difference without jealousy; and
> - The players so chosen can play without dominating everything.

[...]

> Leaders and Followers
>
> It is a fact that society is organized into leaders and followers, and that
> even nature seems to arrange us so. Such inequality is sometimes contrary to
> the spirit of play for a group of nominally equal players. A group may form a
> leaderless band where they act together on all things. We don't care about the
> actions, even if they are aberrations, of a particular player group. They are
> one small group,and exceptions to anything are always possible. The critical
> factor is that the rest of the world will operate according to this kind of,
> organization and relationship. As narrators our task is to present the world
> and its challenges as they are, and to work with the player group to allow
> them to fit in or to find a way to get by.

http://www.glorantha.com/inc/benchmarks.html

Thus Xena and Batman: leaders. Gabrielle and Robin: followers. All of them "Heroes" (i.e. PCs).

Another good example would be Argrath Dragon-friend and his companions as told in the Gwandor Saga. Gudny Stormchaser, Kamoar Shadowstalker, Bronwyn Fallenstead, Garthael Flasing-Blade, Sigmund Stormblade are all companions to Argrath their leader and support him in his kingship bid. They are all PCs.

On the other (left) hand, the Dragonfriend's "Follower" followers (sic) are to be found on his character sheet:

> Followers
>
> Abilities are (First 5w2, Second 1w2)
>
> Follower: Rolf Skullsplicer - Humakti
> Warrior, Bodyguard
>
> Follower: Von Heartstopper - Humakti
> Warrior, Bodyguard
>
> Follower: Torug Blackwolf - Telmori Champion(with 2
> wolfbrothers)
> Warrior, Scout
>
> Follower: Fillian Finebrow - Issaries Negotiator
>
> Negotiate, Communications Magic
>
> Follower: Tulmult FireEater - Orlanth Warrior/Vingkot
> Warrior, Warlord
>
> Follower: Erdhar No-Horse - Chief of the Firebull Clan
> Chief, Warrior
>
> Follower: Hurred the Drayce - Aeolian, Baron of Drayce Hold, March Lord
> Baron, Warlord
>
> Follower: Tilth SoulScribe - Lhankor Mhy Scribe
> Scribe, Knowing Magic
>
> Follower: Stuval Heartheart - Dish Thane
> Administer Household, Intimidate Weaponthane
>
> Follower: Feoric Grim-Eye - Bronze Smith
> Bronze Smith, Metal Sculping
>
> Follower: Orik Rastallson- Aeolian Seargent, Master of Arms
> Knight, Training
>
> Follower: Brod Grim-Ax - Vingkotling
> Warrior, Training
>
> Follower: Chok Goldenhand - Issaries Trader [my favourite! -Christoph]
> Bargain, Administer Estates
>
> Follower: Wyrmquill - Dragon Sage.
> Draconic Lore, EWF Lore
>
> Follower: Tull the Staunch - Bannerman
> Draconic Knowledge, Warior
>
> Follower: Sir Pallon the Black - St. Taurox Knight
> Foot Knight, Anti-Chaos Magic

I love the Gwandor Saga! Wesley's site is really the best...

Christoph "Chok Goldenhand" Kohring, NPC in Martin Laurie's campaign! ;o)