Re: Re: Hero Quests R Uz

From: Graham Robinson <gjr_at_...>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 21:28:54 +0000 (GMT)

On Tue, 9 Jan 2001, Wulf Corbett wrote:

> But my real problem isn't so much with the content of the HQ as with
> the narrative flow. For years RPGs have tried desperately to avoid
> that epitome of unimaginative scenario design, the linear storyline.
> We have all this rich background, a game system so flexible and open
> the wind whistles through it, and to achieve anything important it's
> back to Roleplaying by numbers... enter room 1, fight 3 orcs, take
> treasure... enter room 2, fight gelatinous cube, take treasure... In
> some ways HQs are worse, you know in advance there's 3 orcs in room 1
> and a gelatinous cube in room 2.

I've found it helpful to think fo heroquests as falling into several categories :

  1. Experimental - You are Arkat... Deliberatly messing with things and see what happens.
  2. Accidental - You climb to the top of Kero Fin/sail into the Puzzle Canal at the wrong time of year/whatever, and cross into the other side without meaning to.
  3. Hijacked - Someone else heroquests to damage your quest. The Lunars probably do this a lot, but the orlanthi get revenge at the temple dedication.
  4. Normal - The sort of quest you (and your clan) have done a thousand times, know pretty much every wrinkle, and are unlikely to be surprised.

Most probably have a bit of many of these, but I've found focusing mainly on one of the first three is probably sensible.

Having said that I'm currently trying to write a HQ suitable for a Humakti devotion before Thursday's game...

Cheers,
Graham

--
Graham Robinson			The Stable Yard - Internet Solutions
gjr_at_...		http://www.thestableyard.net