Re: Re: Hero Quests R Uz

From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 21:46:34 +0000

On Tue, 09 Jan 2001 21:33:48 -0000, " JEFFREY KYER" <jeff.kyer_at_...> wrote:

>> All very useful, dramatic & good, but doesn't it strike anyone as
>odd,
>> to say the least, that everyone agrees the way to make HQs
>interesting
>> is to screw them up? That one of the most important parts of our
>> characters' lives, probably the part they spend most time & effort
>> preparing for, is best depicted going wrong?

>You'd just mentioned you hate the 'room a has orcs, room b has a
>killer desert gelatin' -- for its very predictablity.

Oh, I agree I HAVE to spice up a HQ to make it more dramatic, but from the characters' viewpoint, it seems they are just incapable of getting it right. Our heros always seem to get screw-up HQs, while the rest of the world gets on with them far more predictably. Sounds to me like we're expected to play the incompetents! The only logical alternative is to occasionally say "OK, while Joe has been out of play, he's succeeded in 3 HeroQuests quite uneventfully", thus improving his average. But that definitely sounds wrong!

Wulf