Re: Hero Quests R Uz

From: Bryan Thexton <bethexton_at_...>
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 21:49:09 -0000

I think a couple of the answers made good sense--the myth is a very rough road map. It takes you places, and you may know what someone else met there, but you don't necessarily know what that represented, and what it might mean for you.

Therefore, in classic drama style, heroquests are the perfect place to bring the heroes actions back to be accounted for. All sorts of personality traits may have to be overcome, all sorts of moral quandries could be faced...and one wrong step could be complete disaster.

Of course, when the obstacles are somewhat metaphysical in nature, how you deal with them can be quite creative. If you have to overcome your doubts, for a simple example (think the doubting wheel in "making of the storm tribe" in KoDP), perhaps you could overcome it with a personality trait like determined, or with a skill like boast, or with vigorous action....the point being there is the chance to get creative.

Of course, I have the personal (possibly heretical) view that *everything* you do on a heroquest will have ramifications in the material world, so you might want to be careful what solutions you choose....

--Bryan