Re: Disciples/runelords

From: Charles Corrigan <glorantha_at_...>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 12:26:11 -0000

> A Disciple has much less "free will" than an RQ Rune-level. His
> powers come from emulating the god as closely as possible. In
> Heroquests, you *don't* get to choose what you do, you just see if
> you succeed at the exact same stations as your god did - if he
> lost, you'd better lose too. A disciple's wish is to join his god
> (kind of like the "Great God Secrets" taking a hero out of play).

Perhaps the major power of a Disciple is to Heroform their deity, even if there is no "Secret" of Heroforming that deity. The powers that this brings can be immense, the cost (from a playability point of view) is that the character/hero can only do as their deity would have done.

This Heroform power would seem (to me anyway) to limit Disciples to "ordinary" gods, not Greater - how could you heroform something that big/powerful.

At Convulsion, I asked Greg about heroforming a greater god and he couldn't answer at the time (I got my money back). My take was that it could be done only when the Compromise was broken and with the active co-operation of the greater god in question (See King of Sartar p96-98, the story of Alakoring at Castle Blue).

regards,
Charles