RE: Re: The Sword That Is Death Heroquest

From: Bruce Ferrie <bruce_at_...>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 16:41:55 -0000

Hi All,

On Wednesday, January 10, 2001 3:35 PM, JEFFREY KYER [SMTP:jeff.kyer_at_...] wrote:

> Ah, that's something I'd not have considered. In this case, your
> friend was getting an item -- Death. Since the hero was getting a
> specific toy rather than learning, I'd not use my carryover=HP
> variant. That's just for when the hero is pumping himself up. (I
> might have done 'sword named death' as an ability or a death affinity
> and then let the carryover = hp spent on it.

What she got in "rules terms" was the Death affinity. Her sword turned to iron for the duration of this effect to mark the alteration and the local Humakti began to be more friendly with her. Everyone else was a bit creeped out, though - the healers wouldn't let her into their temple any more, frex.

> > STATION FOUR - SECOND MEETING WITH HUMAKT
> > The Hero retreats to sulk and/or lick her wounds before returning to
> try to get
> > the Sword That Is Death again.
>
> Hospitality -- the cardinal virtue. Nice touch.
>
> > As before, this "should" fail and the Hero is forced to retreat and
> reconsider,
> > possibly after another fight.
>
> This could be very hard on the hero, who is presuably alone or just
> with a small band.

This is what you get when you mess with Death. :)

> > that case, I would suggest that the Hero succeeds at getting Death
> and the
> > quest ends here, but she will have much less carryover than if she
> had done it
> > "properly" (i.e., according to the myth) and therefore less benefit
> from the
> > quest (see Narrator's Book p39).
>
> Ah, okay. That's a very good way of working it. And if the Hero has
> 'succeded' too early, the heroquest will actually be a _FAILURE_ adn
> probably irk all the Humakti.

I was hoping very hard that she wouldn't fail, and she'd been saving lots of Hero Points. :) If this had happened, I'd have probably had the couple of Humakti that were in the clan's warband drift away to other clans, and also have any other Humakti encountered take against the character involved.

> > Depending on how the Hero goes about solving problems, the Narrator
> could use
> > the carryover from the quest to give directed HP awards (as in Jeff
> Kyer's post
> > from yesterday) to personality traits like Violent or Calm, or to
> Abilities
> > like Peace-maker, Persuasive or whatever.
>
> In this case, I'd put it into the Quest Object, if it was going just
> to a single person. Sword Named Death ability at 12 + Carryover (one
> for one). Big risks should give big rewards.

That's right, good idea.

> > Yanafal Tarnils worshippers could even take the place of Humakt and
> try to kill
> > the Hero before the quest can be completed.
>
> Yike. I'd do soemthing like that the 3rd or fourth go-round on that.
> Having your quest land-mine like that would be very dangerous --
> possibly impossible to complete.

I know - but it'd be very dramatic, wouldn't it...

> Yes, thesewould all be products of bad carryover. Its pretty much up
> to the narrator -- but those who helped her should suffer too,
> especially if they were Extraordianrily supporting.

Too right - like you said, loss of Combat magics, hostility from Humakti, Death rampaging uncontrollably and finding, over time, all those who supported the ritual. (All depending on where and how badly the Hero failed).

> I like it.
>
> I'd be happy to see this attached to the Herowars files section. You
> might want to consider fixing it up a abit and sending it to Nils.

Thanks. I'll do some editing.

Regards,

Bruce