RE: Re: The Sword That Isn't Death Any More Heroquest

From: Bruce Ferrie <bruce_at_...>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 00:29:45 -0000

On Wednesday, January 10, 2001 9:16 PM, Greg Stafford [SMTP:Greg_at_...] wrote:
> At 09:59 PM 1/10/2001 -0000, you wrote:
> >Or to get his Death back - if it was a Humakti dying on a battlefield that
> >was brought in, then by taking away his Death, you will have stopped him
> >from dying. He's going to be quite upset about this. This could be used as a
> >scenario in another way - a PC Humakti is dying, and finds themselves
> >dragged into a HQ in the role of Humakt. If his Death is taken away, then he
> >finds himself alive,
> Actually, I think he'd be undead here.
> An impossibility, according to the god...
> Of course, you can do anyting in a story, even defy Humakt. That's what the
> game is about.
>
> >but with no Death affinity, maybe even not a Humakti
> >anymore depending on what station he lost Death at. He then has the choice
> >of going to get his Death back (and dying) or living out life as a normal
> >Orlanthi. If he keeps Death, then he dies, but he dies a good Humakti.
> I think other Humakti would feel obliged to send him back to his god.

Ow! This is nasty and very cool. I think if *I'd* thought of this at the time I ran the game I would have done something similar. As it was, in the background story, the healers had to save him so he could come and see the PC to get his sword back. "Dying" isn't the same as "already dead". ;)

In the myth, the loan of the sword is a (quite) amicable agreement. If the Vingan had taken the sword at an earlier station by beating the Humakti up, he would have been *very* annoyed, but in this case he should be happy to come and claim Death back at the appropriate time.

The sword was on loan until it was used to hack down "Yelm" - just as in the original myth. The Humakti is on the scene afterwards to have his sword returned to him.
The side effect of killing him by returning his death to him is something that doesn't have to happen on the spot. Perhaps it sets him on the road to fulfil his destiny by dying on a future battlefield in precisely the way he avoided in the past.

Regards,

Bruce