Re: Disciples/runelords

From: Michael Hitchens <michael_at_...>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 16:03:39 +1100 (EST)

Gone away, had a think.

So disciples follow the tenets of their gods so much that they are single minded and, to an extent, even lose some of their free will.

That's fine, and would also explain why the disciple path is not one that PC's may find attractive.

What I am looking for (from those that know) is the status of the old rune lord titles.

We have from Greg that

	Rune Lords were an artifact of the RQ game system and ought not be
	confused with Gloranthan reality.

Even before I saw this message I'd come to the conclusion that most Gloranthan natives would not know what you were talking about if you used this term or find it suspiciously god-learnerish.

However, the titles were something that evoked Glorantha.

Initiate is very generic. So generic it (at least to me) has no attached meanings. However, to me, devotee evokes images of hinduism, and disciple immediately brings to mind the disciples of Jesus. Nothing wrong with either, but they aren't *Gloranthan* associations. Rune Lord has Gloranthan associations (even if it's part of the discarded RQ past).

What about the individual tites, such as Sword of Humakt? (and Wind Lords, Karrg's Sons, Death Lords, Light Sons, etc) Have they been discarded, now apply to disciples or what?

I certainly hope they haven't been discarded, they are too much (at least to me) part of the flavour of Glorantha. A rose by any other name may still be as sweet, but if its a nice name and with good associations, why get rid of it?

Are they the cult specific titles for disciples? Again, I hope not. Consider the following:

Humakti PC devotee after meeting Humakti NPC disciple "What was the title you used for that guy again?"

GM "Sword of Humakt"

Player "Gee that's cool. I want to become one."

GM "No you don't, it's not suitable for PCs"

Player "but..."

GM "tough"

Or another example, wouldn't you as a player prefer to take on a Death Lord rather than a devotee of Zorak Zoran? Actually I can't see devotee being a general use term. Every culture *may* have their equivalent, but I find it rather likely that every cult would have a title for their high ranking members who are not disciples. Start using 'devotee' too mucha nd peoplemay think you're a god learner.

So what I am asking for is cult specific titles for devotees, preferably the old rune level titles.

Now you could say that spending 60% of your time devoted to your cult does not a Sword or a Wind Lord or whatever make. And I'd agree. I'd point out a couple of things though. As other people have noted you get most of what a rune level got as a devotee now (having the affinites an feats is close enought ore-useable divine magic). In fact, I'd claim the only real lack currently is the allied spirit (and the armour some cults handed out when they could). What I'd suggest is that those people who are devotees, and have achieved some level of proficiency and/or fame (which can be defined later, but could be some minimum level in all three affinities) and (possibly) meets some other requirement (such as performing a HQ) get recognised as special to that cult (without being disciples). And that the cults each have their own title for such people, which could be the old rune lord titles.

Disciples are so rare they probably don't need a separate title.

Thoughts?

Michael