Re: Vanganth

From: JEFFREY KYER <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 19:14:04 -0000

Yes?

> >> Movement and Flight, which is largely redundant. Unless one
expends

> >No. They are not redundant, as a preusal of the movement and
flight
> >affinities in HQ:RPiG will show.
>
> This is precisely the material I looked at. And I'm afraid I don't
> understand what you're getting at. Some examples?

I don't see how you can equate Movement with Flying. Truly I can't. Anytime you're not actually zipping around in the air, you're not going to be able to use that affinity. Its highly useful but also highly limited.

Personally, I regard Movement and Flight as a rather powerful synergy. All those things I am doing while flying I can enhance with moblity to fly faster or dodge opponents or whatever. I would humbly suggest that using one's imagination is the key here.

> >Flying is all well and good, but it won't help me if I'm trying to
do
> >something on the ground.
>
> Such as? How is jumping over rocks or running over mud or up cliffs
any
> different from flying over or up said rocks, mud or cliffs? I can't
help

Because flying has a resistance number for some of these things. And flying is a poster-child for 'really obvious magician, let's shoot him' When I see a flyer, I tend to try to pick them off first.

> but visualize these Movement feats as involving somehow leaving the
> ground. Even if they don't, there's still no functional difference.
And

I don't. Run over Mud. Run up Cliff. Uses Running, I think. Movemnt can be used on other people with little problem. Making another person Fly is _VERY_ difficult -- see Resistance examples for just how bad.

> leaping into the sunset (or whatever) looks suspiciously like flying
> me. The remaining two are the ones I cited as still being useful.

Nope. Sunset Leap and Leap over Tree are pretty much 'all or nouthing' feats that happen over the course of an action. Flying may take longer or have a higher resistance.

> Now, it's entirely possible that TR will list different feats for
the
> Movement affinity. Or the Flight affinity, for that matter (I
certainly
> hope so). So my worries might be needless. At worst, Vanganth
initiates

Vangath's initiates will just have a Flight Affinity (and the other two). Only DEVOTEES get Feats. And I am sure one can use Movement affinity to enhance the Flight affinity...

> will have to pester their narrators to let them switch a few feats
for
> something more useful.

And improvising and cementing new feats hardly requires begging the narrator for special dispensation. At least, that's how the rules appear to be written.

Jeff