Heroforming Vinga

From: John Hughes <nysalor_at_...>
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2001 19:05:49 +1100

Heys folks,

Bruce Ferrie - great work on the Sword That Is Death! And I really liked Tim Ellis' response about designing heroquests.

CALLED, SHE COMES... So you heroform a great hero, not a deity... Ummm.

One of my FP campaign themes was the 'ambiguity' (and historical resurgence) of the cult of Vinga in the years following the Lunar invasion. Was she a deity or was she a hero from the Greater Darkness?

While my Tovtaros crew believed Vinga to be a deity, true daughter of Allfather and EarthQueen, they also heard all the Sairdic/daughter of Vingkot/House Vinga myths, and the 'Daughter of Orlanth and "another" goddess' myths. They visited *two* of her cultic gravesites. They visited other tribes and saw the variety of her cult and worship: the vengeful widows who call upon the Goddess when they act to right a great wrong, the solitary Stead-Daughters of the Far Place (Scathach/Aoife types - teachers of young men), the troll-hating Adventuresses of the Quivini, the mediatrix Laughing Daughters, and the disciplined, militaristic House Vinga that was evolving once again among Starbrow's retinue. They even offered peripheral support to Starbrow as she actively explored (and perhaps changed) some of the Vinga paths on the Other Side.

All this recent stuff has got me buzzing 'bout Vinga all over again. Only one of our characters got to know what *Starbrow* thought about her goddess, and since she was a Kallyr Vingan herself she wasn't letting on. But if Vinga is a goddess, Starbrow wouldn't be able to heroform her (ohh what a scene that would be). And Kallyr is too much the free-willed desperado to ever become a disciple/avatar. If a Hero, then vingans will be able to heroform her, especially now Kallyr has strengthened the ancient Vinga paths. If Vinga is somehow both, or neither, or Kallyr's questing has *changed* the possible (and this strikes me as somehow typically Kallry/Argrath) then the Vinga Resurrection is just beginning...

Help! My brain is melting, as it does whenever I get a whiff of Glorantha's mythic ontology. What do other people think, esp in light of the new possibilities suggested by Hero Wars?

Cheers (slosh)

John

nysalor_at_p...                          John Hughes

A merciless war I will declare!
I will make incursions through the fertile land of Sartar, my battalions all in arms / my vingans beside me not just to steal a bull / not over beast this battle but for an honour price a thousand times more precious - My Dignity!
I will make fierce incursions.

'Starbrow Speaks'. modified by a SAT from the original by Nualla Ni Dhomhnaill.