Re: heroquests

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 16:49:08 -0800

Wulf responded to Greg

> >(1) Hero Questers don't ever know exactly what they will meet.
>
> >(2) The myths usually do not tell of surprise and failures.
>
> >(3) Enemies can get into your quest and really muck it up.
>
> Take the HQs in KoDP. These avoid the problem of linear
> predictability. They're all just cut scenes anyway, and no-one expects
> any different! Even with Urox appearing in O&A, it's still linear &
> inflexible if you want to succeed. That's how I feel about my attempts
> to design HQ so far, a linear sequence of events with no links other
> than a quick "OK, you succeed. Next you meet...".

Actually, some of the KoDP quests do have different success branches. Robin Laws put the Uroxi in the Orlanth & Aroka heroquest as a surprise (i.e. he's not mentioned in any of the myths you know), but various constraints made it impossible to put as many surprises in the computer game as a decent Narrator would come up with. I'm reminded here of Jeff Richard's advice that one of the best tools for running a heroquest is a thesaurus...

But yes, heroquests should be linear, in that you know that there is a sequence of stations, but unpredictable, in that just what you meet at each station can't be predicted with certainty.

David Dunham     A Sharp     david_at_...
Voice/Fax: 206 783 7404     http://a-sharp.com
Efficiency is intelligent laziness.