Re: Mounted Combat

From: Graham Robinson <gjr_at_...>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 09:55:02 +0000 (GMT)

On Sun, 14 Jan 2001, Wulf Corbett wrote:

> Characters who have a naturally mounted culture (Grazers, Praxians,
> Pentans, etc) fight normally when mounted, they may be able to use
> Riding as an Augment, BUT they suffer a penalty when fighting on foot
> (where they have had less training & practice) unless they develop a
> 'Foot Combat' ability. Characters from a pedestrian culture
> (Heortlings, Lunars, etc) fight normally on foot, at a penalty when
> riding, until they develop a Mounted Combat (or just Riding) ability.

Not sure I agree with this. Mounted cultures fight well from horse back because they have a high 'ride' or similar skill. (In most cases, they get it as part of a cultural keyword.) Fighting on foot if you are used to fighting mounted is NOT nearly as difficult as the reverse case. If you are not experienced rider, controlling a horse (rhino, whatever) is going to be difficult. Even grazers know how to walk, without falling over.

There's also a problem with the Heortling character who has 'Grazer friends taught him to ride' in his 100 words. Do you count him as a Heortling or a Grazer for mounted combat? I could justify either.

My gut instinct is to ignore the whole thing, but impose improv penalties to those fighting 'wrong'. I certainly wouldn't want to see a 'fight on foot' ability being used as a cap - that seems to harsh. If you are going to use 'ride' as a cap (and I do see some merit to that) I'd apply it across the board. If nothing else it might encourage Grazers to have the high 'ride' they should have.

Cheers,
Graham

--
Graham Robinson			The Stable Yard - Internet Solutions
gjr_at_...		http://www.thestableyard.net