Re: Mounted Combat

From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 09:24:06 -0000

> Not sure I agree with this. Mounted cultures fight well from horse
back
> because they have a high 'ride' or similar skill. (In most cases,
they get
> it as part of a cultural keyword.) Fighting on foot if you are used
> fighting mounted is NOT nearly as difficult as the reverse case

This is in fact what I wanted to point out, you augment the lower skill with the higher - what I forgot to say was that Grazers have pretty good 'Walk' skill, so shouldn't have much of a penalty in comparison. It's not just a matter of having a high Ride skill though, it's a matter of experience and practice in all forms of riding activity. Likewise, foot combat to a normally-mounted warrior is difficult, not because you haven't got a horse (or rhino, or whatever) under you, but because the technique is different. It's a bit like Irish dancing - no-one taught them to use their arms. Instead of using lowest ability augmented by highest, you could use combat ability less Improv penalty augmented by riding.

As to your 'Trained in Grazer combat', or whatever you said, then I would definitely allow that to eliminate all mounted penalties (I have to... I did it myself in one of my characters...). In fact, anyone who spends a HP (or a few of their 100 words) can take a CC or RC spevialisation in Mounted (or Foot) Combat, and eliminate the penalty.

Wulf