[HeroWars] Re: Hero Quests R Uz

From: JEFFREY KYER <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 14:38:45 -0000

True. But what does it LOOK like...? I supose that Mike Rabbe's incredible mythic artwork has spoiled me. Must try to get some of it or comission some.

> Remember that one of the "tricks" of Heroquesting is to provide the
> participants yourself rather than relying on what you may encounter

That's true. However, this is more used for ritual re-enactments -- the minor, lesser heroquests that are done ever year to make sure the crops grow and the Sacred Time is Sacred. The ones that don't usually go wrong... (see previous comments by Robin and Roderick)

> Biturian Varosh was so used (by the Yelmalians IIRC) for example.

I think that was actually ritual, rather than a heroquest -- I didn't see them entering the hero-plane in that one. Though I suppose it could be that the unfortunate merchant just didn't get to see into the God's house.

> Not that this is always safe - the Convulsions scenario showed what
> can go wrong when a bunch of Grazers pick on the wrong proxy for
"The
> Dark Man". You pick on a scrawny Dragonnewt scout to beat up in
your
> Aroka HQ, only to discover that on the Hero Plane he evolves into
his
> future self as the Inhuman King of the Dragons Eye....

That's quite true. Though capturing a dragonnewt is problematical. I think I'd probably have them encounter some DN's on the hero-plane when they are out there rather than bring in something.

But its a nice touch, that fast-fowarard you mention.

> Also your "fixed" encounters can be "unfixed" by your enemies
seeking
> to subvert your quest. IIRC Jar Eel defeated the Pharoh by
> substituting herself for the "fixed" encounter of "The Red Man"

I think she substituted as the goddess who sent him on to the Underworld. And sent him to the "wrong" one. One that his ritual was not designed to get him out of. But I'm sure we're going to see more of Mr. Harshax in the future.

Jeff